THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yesterday I decided to delete my myspace account. I sent out messages to the friends I actually still know with my email address telling them I was deleting the account and to keep in touch via email. From the few responses I got, you would have thought I told them I was cutting off a limb. "OMG why would you do that?" "NOOOOOOO!" and my favorite "I hope you lost a bet or something"

Honestly, it was nice to see what people had been up to and I loved when someone from over a decade ago managed to find me and "friend" me. But I was only friends, in real life, with maybe 10 of people. I suppose I am old fashioned in thinking that true friends will write you an email every once in a while filling you in on the details of their life or God forbid, pick up a phone and call you. Instead we have been reduced to posting "comments" like - "hey! you need to stop by more often, quit my job, tell ya about it later" or those annoying ultra glittery "hope you have a great weekend". I found myself spending hours, literally hours, toying around with my layout or myspace stalking celebrities. (I am not proud of that last one)

I think we have all become detached from actual human contact. I know there are people who would argue that this is the next wave of communication and is the way of the future, and if that is really the case then we are in for a sad existence. We are 2 steps away from talking to fake people on a giant wall in our homes, running down pedestrians for fun, and burning all of our books. And if you have no idea what book I am referencing then I have just proven my case.

I don't really need to know what your favorite books are, or what your favorite television show is, you could love the X-Files and still be a complete a$$hole, it doesn't mean we should be "friends" on myspace or anywhere else. If you really are my friend then I already know your favorite television shows, the books you read over and over, the music you can't live without, and we have probably shared at least one of our hopes/dreams with each other already.

I've been detached from myself for awhile now. I lost my way somewhere back there and now I am just trying to get back on track. Writing was always theraputic for me. I am going to spend the extra hours I get back writing or being a better mother to my dog.

I love to meet knew people, so don't think I don't appreciate comments or take them to heart. I find complete strangers to be more honest than most of my friends. Maybe somewhere down the line we will be friends, but until then I won't be leaving you any glittery comments. Feel free to drop me an email though.

darcyroo@gmail.com

1 comments:

Dina Roberts said...

I quit Facebook and went through the same thing. Some people got so upset by it. I sent out a note too and I got weird responses. It was like I said "I'm killing myself this afternoon. Nice knowing you."

It was a bit weird.

I made it very clear that I still wanted to hear from people--just now it could be via email.

Those places are way too addictive.