THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Music fortune telling

Photobucket


I was introduced to radio fortune teller by a good friend of mine. We would often use the radio to help make small decisions about where to eat- Taco Bell or Wendy's? Since we live in a city that has 2 spanish stations for every english one, we ate at Taco Bell a lot.

I have been a book slave at a retail store for 4 years. While the job is by no means what I want to do with the rest of my life, it has created some unexpected ripples in my life. It was during work that I heard Brandi Carlile for the first time. Her voice belted out overhead as though she were singing to me, about me. I actually stopped working and just stood listening for about 5 minutes before I marched over to our music department and bought the album, a self titled debut, Brandi Carlile.

The music itself is not over produced, the lyrics are simple, just a couple of guitars, some drums, some bass, and a cello, but there is something more that you can feel when you hear her sing. I flipped through the cd insert to read lyrics and see who had written them, then it clicked, she had written most of them, along with her fellow bandmates, Tim and Phil (who are identical twins and gorgeous). The threesome had been together for a few years now and this was their first album on a major record label. Brandi Carlile is more the name of a band than the woman who sings the songs. There is no diva in this woman, just a girl who loves music, and two boys who don't really care that she is the face of it all.

While this album was helping me heal old wounds, it was also healing someone else I worked with and had never really spoken to. It wasn't until a little over a year later that I would become great friends with this person and we would take a road trip that changed both our lives. I would soon find that Brandi on cd is nothing compared to watching the band live.



1 comments:

Dina Roberts said...

I'm glad you're writing more in your blog. I like hearing about you and your love for Brandi Carlile. I never heard of her until you came along.

I'm out of it though when it comes to music.